Labna is a cheese which is easily made from yoghurt. It has the benefits of containing good bacteria that is beneficial for your gut, and is easier to digest than most other cheeses.
You will need:
- Muslin cloth for hanging
- Pot or bowl to catch liquid
- Probiotic yogurt (preferably organic) – Jalna biodynamic is a good choice
You can mix in pepper, herbs, chilli, garlic, or anything else you might like into the yogurt to make a flavoured labna.
- Place the amount of yoghurt that you wish to make into cheese onto the muslin, then bunch the ends and hang to something with a bowl beneath it to catch the water (a pot with a lid can work well for this).
- Leave overnight, or until cheese has become firm and most liquid has been drained
- If you live in a warmer climate, you may need to hang it in the fridge
- Store in a sterile airtight container in the fridge
- Rolled into small balls and tossed through a salad with baby spinach, roast pumpkin, capsicum and olive oil
- On ryevita or a cracker of your choice with smoked salmon and cracked pepper
- As a dip mixed with avocado, paprika, garlic and lemon juice served with carrot and celery sticks