These muffins are free from, sugar, wheat and even dairy if you choose, but taste fantastic! They are a great source of calcium and fibre, so are great for kids lunchboxes or morning tea!
- 250g pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 45g butter and 45g coconut oil (or 90g coconut oil for dairy free option)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large bananas, mashed with a fork
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Grease muffin pan and set aside.
- Place dates, butter/oil and water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Once boiling turn off, let cool slightly and add bicarb soda.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking soda and cinnamon, then stir in coconut. Make a well in the centre.
- Add dates mixture, eggs and banana to the well and stir through until combined.
- Spoon mixture into muffin pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until you insert a skewer and it comes out clean.
- Leave to rest for a few minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack, or eat!