https://naturopathbrisbane.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Recipes-Prune-and-Orange-Muffin1.jpg 134 162 Katherine Maslen http://naturopathbrisbane.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/logoHeader-1.png Katherine Maslen2013-09-18 02:22:142017-05-11 03:34:10Prune and Orange Muffins
I love making these muffins! They are high in fibre and iron, sugar free and can be made without wheat and dairy too!
- 280g pitted prunes, roughly chopped (preservative free)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 vanilla pod, scraped or 1tsp natural vanilla essence
- 40g butter and 40g coconut oil (or you can use rice bran or macadamia oil)
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate soda (aluminium free)
- 1/4 cup rice milk
- 1tbsp honey
- 2 large or 3 small eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups wholegrain flour (wheat or spelt)
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 3tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius and grease a 12 hole muffin tin with oil and flour.
- In a small saucepan, place the prunes, orange juice and rind, vanilla,water and butter/oils. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly, then add bicarbonate soda and stir through.
- In a bowl, sift flour and baking soda. Add oat bran and make a well in the middle.
- To the prune mix, add honey and rice milk. Stir through. Once the mix is cool enough to touch stir through egg yolks.
- Add wet mix to dry ingredients in the bowl, and stir gently until well combined.
- Spoon mix into muffin tray. Place in the oven and bake for20-30 minutes, or until you stick a skewer in and it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let muffins sit in the tray for a few minutes, before removing and placing on a cooling rack.