- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup rice bran oil
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp apple juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup apple juice concentrate
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup raw almonds, finely ground
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius
- Combine all pastry ingredients in a food processor. Blend until pastry binds together.
- Roll pastry out to fit a fluted pie dish. lift pastry onto dish and lower edges in, pressing to fit mold so that it is an even thickness.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Cool.
- For lemon filling, combine lemon juice, apple juice concentrate, orange and lemon rind and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Combine the remaining water with the cornflour and egg yolks to form a thin paste. Stir into the lemon mixture and stir continuously until it boils and thickens. Boil for a further 1 minute and cool slightly.
- Pour into the pastry base and leave to set.
- Ensure that lemon filling is completely cool, then begin the meringue topping.
- Beat eggs whites until stiff peaks form. Add all of the other ingredients separately, combine well but do not over mix.
- Spoon on top of the lemon filling. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the top has browned.
- Serve at room temperature for the best flavour. Store in the fridge for up to a week.
- Substitute apple juice concentrate for xylitol or agave syrup.
- Try using lime instead of orange for a zestier pie.
This recipe is wheat free, dairy free, sugar free and naturopath friendly!