http://naturopathbrisbane.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/logoHeader-1.png 0 0 Katherine Maslen http://naturopathbrisbane.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/logoHeader-1.png Katherine Maslen2013-09-18 06:35:172017-05-11 09:11:38Lentil and Mushroom Soup
I love lentils. Although they take a long time to cook this soup is very easy. It is a great source of iron and protein – enjoy!
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme, or 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (about the size of your hand), diced
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1tbsp butter or rice bran oil
- filtered water
- sea salt and pepper
- Cover lentils with water and soak for 24 hours. Discard water, rinse and place in a pot with 4 cups of water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 90 minutes with the lid on.
- In a large saucepan, fry onions and thyme in butter or oil until softened. Add mushrooms, tomato and capsicum. Cook on low for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add lentils (and the water they were cooked in), plus 1 extra cup of water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Take off heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. With a stainless steel stick blender, blend to desired consistency.
- Serve with sourdough bread drizzled with olive oil.