There are varying degrees of allergy, with the most severe form causing narrowing of the airways, or anaphylaxis, resulting in the inability to breath. This situation is life threatening and emergency treatment is needed immediately.
More commonly symptoms of allergy can include:
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Post nasal drip
- Rashes or skin breakouts
- Nasal polyps
- Mouth ulcers
There are many causes of allergy, although some of the more common ones include:
- Dust mites
As a naturopath, Katherine uses a holistic approach in the treatment of allergy. The approach taken depends on the cause and severity of the allergy, although the following treatment aims apply:
- Modulate the immune system. An allergy is an over-reaction of the immune system, so herbs and nutrients which control the immune response are used.
- Reduce histamine production. Histamine is responsible for causing many of the symptoms associated with allergy, especially itching and redness.
- Control symptoms by using herbs which reduce excess mucus, alleviate itching and promote healing
- Reduce inflammation. By controlling inflammatory mediators in the body, herbs and nutrients help to cut off the inflammatory cascade that feeds an allergic response.
- Assist with dietary management. By improving dietary habits we can ensure that the improvements made are longer lasting, to keep you feeling great longer!
Naturopathy is very effective in the treatment of allergy and allergic disorders, bringing fast and long lasting symptom control. The advantage of taking this approach is that the methods used promote the body to heal itself and therefore regulates the immune system so that you can be allergy free, even after stopping treatment.
For an appointment to find out how Katherine can help your allergies, call 07 3367 0337 or use the appointment request form here.