Sleep hygiene involves more than having a shower before bed! Try the following tips to ensure you are ready for a good nights sleep:
- Ensure the room is dark. Light from outside will lower melatonin levels and disturb your sleep.
- Make the bed. Getting into a nicely made bed is always nicer than a pile of blankets at the end of the day.
- No stimulants before bed. Avoid coffee, tea and soft drinks anytime after 3pm, and especially after dinner.
- Relax. Try using some lavender oil or relaxing music to relax you before bed. Meditation is also a great way to relax your mind.
- Avoid clocks or electrical devices by your bedside, as these can disturb sleep.
- Wake up to light. Bright lights on waking helps to reset your circadian rhythm, increasing cortisol levels for the daytime while promoting melatonin for the evening.
If you find that no matter what you do you can’t get a good nights sleep, visit Katherine for a fast and effective solution. Call 07 3367 0337 to make a naturopathic appointment at her Brisbane clinic, or use the appointment request form.